Match Report

Match Report - 23 Oct 2010, Leeds Modernians Football Club 2nds beat Alwoodley OB Reserves (Hancock Cup Round 1)

On a blustery day in Cookridge the reserves looked to maintain their 100% record, but with Alwoodley Reserves as the opposition this was to prove their toughest test of the season so far.

The game started at a very fast pace with the ball going from end to end very quickly, without clear chances being created. The mods almost took the lead on 15mins when a free kick from Adie Shaduwa found the unmarked Si Lewis who's firm header just drifted wide. Alwoodley began to dominate the game after this looking threatening each time they gained posession, the central midfield pairing were passing and moving well whilst the strikers were finding a lot of space. Alwoodley's domination turned into a goal on 25mins, a long diagonal ball into the penalty area from left to right brought Stew Featherstone racing out of goal to challenge with an Alwoodley striker, Stew just got there first but only managed to punch the ball straight up in the air. The loose ball was competed for in the air before dropping to an Alwoodley player 6 yards out who drilled the ball into an open net.

The mods were conceding posession to easily due to good Alwoodley pressure and the quality of football from the division 2 outfit was on some occasions outstanding. Perhaps the turning point of Alwoodley's performance came when their impressive centre half broke his nose in an aerial challenge and was replaced in the lead up to half time. (HT 0-1)

Modernians started the second half brightly finding space down both wings and it was down the right hand side that they created their first two goals. Full back Byron Wilkinson played a good ball down the line for winger Richard March to run onto, Marchy took a touch and got his head up before firing in a low cross which the Alwoodley GK spilled and James Coulson poked the loose ball in. The second goal came soon after, another ball down the line from Wilkinson found Jake Williams in space and he was able to cut in towards goal. As the solitary defender came across to meet him Jake squared the ball for Simon Lewis to dummy the GK then slot the ball in.

Mods felt the need for an extra goal to kill the game off and goal scoring midfielder Andy Atkins was introduced on 65 minutes in search of that goal. Alwoodley to their credit were coming back into the game and Stew had to pull off a couple of importan saves before James Coulson scored his second of the game to seal the win. Picking the ball up 25 yards out Coulson did have options left and right but decided to have a strike, the GK may question his positioning as the ball drifted over his head and underneath the cross bar.

Alwoodley pulled a goal back with a free kick on 89mins but it was too late. After the final whistle there was a bit of handbags which saw the Alwoodley left back red carded but this did not reflect the game as a whole which was played in a good, competitive spirit and contolled well by the match official.

Leeds Modernians Football Club 2nds 3 - 2 Alwoodley OB Reserves (Hancock Cup Round 1) ()

Name Goals Details
1 Stewart Featherstone  
2 Andrew Atkins   for Richard March (65mins)
3 David Bergan  
4 Dan Bradford  
5 James Coulson   2 (55 & 85mins)
6 Simon Lewis   1 (60mins)
7 Richard March  
8 Dale Mordue   for Adie Shaduwa (75mins)
9 Adie Shaduwa  
10 Andy Shirley  
11 Byron Wilkinson  
12 Jake Williams  
13 Josh Williams