Match Report

Match Report - 22 Jan 2011, Leeds Modernians Football Club 2nds beat Gildersome Spurs OB Reserves (Hancock Cup Round 2)

The Reserves arrived at Street Lane to find the game in doubt as the referee inspected a pitch that was rock solid in places, after a conference involving both managers the ref eventually decided that the game should go ahead with the condition that if the surface did not improve he would call it off after 10mins.

Mods tinkered with their team selection, Danny Claxton reverting to right full back pushing Coulson to right mid, player/manager Mordue made his 3rd start of the season and Rich Ewen partnered him in central midfield making his first start since November.

The Mods got off to a dream start taking the lead after 2 minutes literally catching Gildersome cold. James Coulson found himself with time and space on the right and clipped a superb left footed cross in to the onrushing Andy Atkins, who smashed the ball into the top corner with a fantastic first time finish. Gildersome were playing with a 4-5-1 formation and having a good share of possession in the midfield so Mods switched around to match them with Coulson moving inside and Jake Williams switching to right mid.

Conditions underfoot were difficult but both teams continued to try and play football, Mods using their wide men to cause problems and Gildersome using intricate passes and good movement without being overly incisive. The next goal would probably be crucial and Gildersome came close to grabbing it when a low driven cross travelled all the way to the back post, Danny Claxton under pressure deflected the ball towards his own goal only for Stew to show excellent reactions and tip it onto the post and out for a corner.

After 25 minutes it was Mods Reserves who doubled their lead. Coulson hit an inswinging corner that Rich Ewen competed for and the ball went straight up in the air, Gildersome had a case for a push as Atkins doubled his tally, jumping above the defender and nodding the ball in from 3yards. It almost became 0-3 when Atkins delivered a brilliant cross and Joe Clapham saw a powerful header tipped round the post by the Gildersome GK at full stretch. (HT 0-2).

Almost inevitably at half time Gildersome appealed for the game to be called off due to slippery conditions but the referee stood by his original decision to start the game. To be honest the second half was dominated by the side from Senior B who probably had 80% of the possession without really opening up the Mods defence. Mordue and Clapham made way for Williams and Dixon on 60 minutes to provide more energy and this substition almost changed the game. On 61 minutes Gildersome were awarded a corner and clawed a goal back after a frenetic goal mouth scramble, Williams was then substituted for Shaduwa after a back injury sustained whilst running for the bus flared up, not the greatest 1 minute of his Mods career.

Great defending saw the Mods go through as Gildersome were restricted to a couple of long range efforts that Stew Featherstone dealt with comfortably.

Thanks to Gildersome for their hospitality after the match.

Gildersome Spurs OB Reserves (Hancock Cup Round 2) 1 - 2 Leeds Modernians Football Club 2nds ()

Name Goals Details
1 Stewart Featherstone  
2 Danny Claxton  
3 Andy Shirley  
4 Dale Mordue  
5 David Bergan  
6 Byron Wilkinson  
7 James Coulson  
8 Rich Ewen  
9 Joe Clapham  
10 Jake Williams  
11 Andrew Atkins   2
12 Josh Williams   for Dale Mordue (60 mins)
13 Liam Dixon   for Joe Clapham (60 mins)
14 Adie Shaduwa   for Josh Williams (62 mins)